Sitara ARM processors launch support for Android 4.1.2 "Jelly Bean" allowing up to 2X faster and easier navigation for an enhanced user experience
Android 4.1.2 capabilities available for Sitara AM335x ARM Cortex???-A8 processors improve performance and user interface response time
December 18, 2012 -- !-- AddToAny BEGIN -->
DALLAS, Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the availability of a new development kit that brings Android 4.1.2 ("Jelly Bean") to TI's Sitara ARM AM335x Cortex-A8 processors. This complete software offering allows innovators to fully evaluate Android 4.1.2 on embedded applications running on TI's Sitara processors for easier navigation that is up to two times faster than the previous version of Android. For more information or to download the free development kit, click here.
Sitara ARM developers can now take advantage of Android 4.1.2 for feature-rich, low-power applications, including wearable gadgets such as watches, goggles, display panels for home appliances and automation, enterprise tablets, point-of-sale terminals, portable navigation devices and industrial automation.
Faster, smoother and more responsive
Complete with pre-integrated connectivity and 3D graphics capabilities, the Android 4.1.2 Development Kit provides a stable software foundation for Sitara AM335x processor-based products. To help developers quickly and easily integrate and evaluate Android-based applications, the development kit is fully tested using the Android compatibility test suite on the AM335x evaluation module (EVM), AM335x Starter Kit and BeagleBone development boards, and a number of BeagleBone Cape Plug-in Boards such as the LCD7 Cape, DVI-D Cape and Camera Cape.
TI's Android 4.1.2 Development Kit also features:
- Integrated Android Open Accessory protocol support, allowing connectivity to any Android-based accessory with AM335x products.
- Haptics feedback, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors.
- Soft navigation keys, supported on landscape displays to help customers build products without any mechanical keys on-board.
- Multiple USB features, including USB pen drive support and USB-based camera capture and preview.
- 3D graphics using Imagination Technologies' POWERVR SGX OpenGL accelerator drivers and libraries.
- Application notes, guides and test results to help developers with their designs.
"Android 4.1.2 offers a faster and easier interface that makes transitions between applications smoother and the latest graphics effects stand out," said Adrian Valenzuela, marketing director, Sitara ARM processors, TI. "This enables developers who are leveraging Sitara's AM335x processors to create robust embedded applications for better user experiences."
Pricing and availability
The Android 4.1.2 Development Kit for TI's Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors is available for free download today, with no development or production restrictions. Developers interested in experimenting with the latest Android code for Sitara can also visit the open-source community at arowboat.org. Developers can begin evaluating on a variety of TI platforms including:
- Full-featured AM335x EVM (TMDXEVM3558) for $995.
- AM335x Starter Kit (TMDSSK3358) for $199
- BeagleBone from www.beagleboard.org for $89.
- BeagleBone Cape Plug-in Boards from www.beaglebonecapes.com
Additional software support
TI is a proven leader in ARM-based solutions that offers complete solutions that include a robust software ecosystem. For example, Sitara ARM processors offer software support for popular operating systems to enable microcontroller-like programming, including the following solutions:
- Support for Linux, Android and Windows Embedded Compact 7 operating systems
- Compatible security solutions and real-time operating systems available from third parties, enabling further product customization and simplifying development
- StarterWare software package, allowing developers to program these processors like a microcontroller, without requiring an operating system
- TI EZ SDK, allowing demo in minutes and development in less than an hour
For more information
- TI's Android software development kit
- Sitara's software portfolio
- Join the TI E2E community
- Check out ArowBoat's community page
- Follow TI on Twitter
- Like TI on Facebook
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
About the Texas Instruments ARM Processor Portfolio
TI's extensive ARM processor portfolio offers optimized silicon, software and development tools for industries such as automotive, industrial, cloud infrastructure, computing, healthcare, education, retail and home and building automation. With more than 500 ARM products that start at $1 and scale up to 5 GHz in performance, TI has shipped more than seven billion ARM-based processors since 1993, including ARM Cortex-A, Cortex-R and Cortex-M foundations. For more information, visit www.ti.com/arm.
Sitara, Code Composer Studio and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
Copyright 2010 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved